Thursday, July 29, 2010

Supernatural - Season Four

I just finished watching season four of Supernatural.  Dylan W. and I started watching Supernatural about halfway through season one.  Santa bought me season 3 on DVD.  I never managed to have the time to catch episodes of season four.  I had some Amazon reward dollars to spend, so I purchased the fourth season through Amazon Video on Demand and have spent the past dozen or so evenings watching all the episodes.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the other internet video services.  I see the commercials but haven't felt the need to try them.  I've been very satisfied with Amazon's services.  And I am also satisfied with the fourth season of Supernatural.



The season starts with Dean returning/escaping from Hell.  Quickly, we are introduced to Angels, which is surprising.  The first three seasons presented a world with no intervention from heaven and gave the impression that demons were unchallenged by anyone other than hunters.  About half of the episodes deal directly with the season's over-all story arc.  The rest of the episodes are diversions from that plot and provide some levity and novelty to the season.

Episode 5 - Monster Movie - is shot in black-and-white and is an offbeat tribute to the classic creatures of the night - Count Dracula, The Werewolf, and The Mummy.  Episode 12 - Criss Angel is a Douche Bag - Title says it all.

My favorite new character is Castiel, an angel played by Misha Collins.  The introduction of Angels to the scheme of things has really increased my interest.  I've enjoyed movies like "The Prophecy", "Constantine", and "The Seventh Seal" that have angels and divine intervention involved.  There is a lot of involvement, for good and ill, in this season.

And, did I mention Sam becomes a demon blood sucker (as opposed to a blood sucking demon?)?



  

No comments: