Wednesday, July 14, 2010

YMCA re-brands itself (kinda like Radio Shack is now "The Shack")

Described by Neil Nicoll, president and CEO of YMCA of the USA, as Bold, Vibrant, Welcoming, Inspirational, and capturing the personality of the Y, I present to you one of five color schemes being introduced by the YMCA of the USA.

My first impressions - rolling on floor laughing . . . oops. I mean ROFL.  Initial thought - why don't we start calling The Red Cross "red" and the Girls and Boys Clubs of America "the clubs".  Come on now . . . Radio Shack tried this.  Did it work? (More after the jump!)


Then I watched the National Press Club video.  (which can be found at this link - http://www.ymca.net/media-coverage/ ) And yes, I did actually watch all 50 minutes.  I also read the accompanying press release.  (press release - http://www.ymca.net/news-releases/20100712-brand-new-day.html)   My opinion might be swayed, but I'd like to sleep on it.


I have always believed that the YMCA . . .  errrr . . .the Y has the potential to be a focal point in any community.  In Milton, for example, the Y is the center of the downtown bullseye (or was, it might be shifting towards the MOOSE - which will likely re-brand itself as the M, or maybe MOO).  (OK - I digress further.  The MOOSE isn't really The MOOSE.  The proper acronym is LOOM - Loyal Order of Moose)


I'm back now.  I have always believed the Y can make changes in a community.  At it's core the values of the Y have not changed.  It is even pointed out in the National Press Club video that the key areas of focus continue to be youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.  The "triangle" will remain a part of the new identity, continuing to represent spirit, mind, and body.  


The Y has the ability to meet the needs of communities.  Each YMCA is able to meet the needs of the people who live around it.  The Ys are true community centers.  For example, when families in Milton needed a Day Care Center, these same families used the Y to create a new Day Care Center (I live over it). 


Now . . . I'm going to sleep on this, as promised.  Possibly more tomorrow.

No comments: