Sunday, July 15, 2007

Cell Phone Angst

I don't remember if I mentioned this before. On our way back from New Hampshire we stopped at a rest stop (well, several rest stops). I was amazed when I walked into the rest stop following an older gentleman talking on his cellphone. He wasn't on any fancy remote or bluetooth. He was just carrying it in his hand. He managed to undo his pants, pee, and zip himself up, while carrying on his conversation. I don't remember if he washed his hands.

WHAT THE H#@L IS SO IMPORTANT! Couldn't it have waited?

I wrote about going out to dinner last night. I didn't mention the cell phones. At one point in the evening, there were six people on cell phones just in our section. I took notice, because every time a cell phone rang, Junior and my kid would go for their cell phones to see if the were ringing.

AGAIN - WHAT IS SO IMPORTANT?!

I'm vowing right know - this evening - to leave my cell phone at home as often as possible. Or at least turn it off when I am not at home or work. How did we become so dependent on these things? It is no wonder we have so many ADHD people. "I want it and I want it now!", even if it is to talk to someone. Crazy.

No comments: