Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Y do I care about lifeguard training



For years I ran the Red Cross Lifeguard Course at the Milton YMCA. Then, two years ago, Ann L. started running the course. I was not asked to help, I was not told I would no longer be running the course, I was just 'black balled' without notice.

And it is OK. I spent many, many hours prepping and running the course. I called in favors from several friends. The end result was a superior program that produced quality lifeguards. No-one has run a lifeguard course as well as I did; and I did it with the help of pros like Jack Williams, Brian White, Keith Yiako, Eric Erdman and others.

It is a loss for the YMCA. It is a gain for me, for I have found other opportunities to fill the time I would have spent managing the lifeguard course. Ultimately, I enjoyed the process of teaching. Now I do that every day.

Tomorrow, Bay Watch - Milton Style

No comments: