Sunday, February 11, 2007

God and Equus




I have been reading "The Language of God" by Francis Collins. Collins was the key researcher and program leader of the Human Genome Project. The book examines the evidence, both intellectual and scientific, for a belief in God. Then, I see Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) is getting naked for his role in a revival of "Equus".




I had to get the play and read it. Equus is a complex play by Peter Shaffer. It was originally written and performed in 1973. It remains as valid today as it did in 1973. It was interesting that I came across it when I did. It dove tails nicely into the thoughts presented in "Language of the Gods" and what is going on in my life today.

Shaffer, in his play, portrays how materialism and convenience have ruined societies capacity to worship or see God in our world. This thought works in well with the material presented in Collins book.

The shrink in Equus must weigh the decision to 'cure' his patient and, in the process, destroy the patients passion. Dysart (the shrink in the play) must choose between two bad decisions. He must decide which bad plan is less bad. I know this dilemma.

Both the book and the play are good reads. I recommend them both.

No comments: