Saturday, August 25, 2007

Court Inequality

Well, I only had 5 responses to the poll. I posted it because of a court case in Perry County. The few Poll results I did get were what I expected. People seem to agree that people should get relatively stiff penalties for having sex with children.

What concerns me is the double standard. In Perry County, a 24 year old woman received a 3 to 18 month suspended sentence for having sex with a 14 year old boy. She is also a the mother of a baby boy. The baby is the son of the 14 year old boy. The judge (Kathy Morrow) doesn't want the baby to suffer from separation from the mother. Hence the lean (non-existent) sentence. I suppose the message is, ladies, if your going to have sex with a minor, make sure you get knocked up.

What if the roles were reversed. If the 24 year old were the father, he wouldn't get out of jail until the baby was 20 years old. I know that the role of the father is just as important as the role of the mother. Why do we treat the sexes difference in these cases?

No comments: